Backend Ruby Engineer
Product - London, England, United KingdomApply now
At Chattermill we use cutting-edge AI technology to give leading companies the key to improving their customer experience. We work with many of the most exciting companies in the world (Uber, HelloFresh, Transferwise, Skyscanner, and GetYourGuide to name a handful!) and are passionate about helping them put their customers’ at the heart of their decision making.
In five short years, we’ve grown from two co-founders to a team of 50 (and counting) bright and diverse individuals. We have big plans and are now looking for a Backend Ruby Engineer to join our remote Product team in Europe to play an integral role in the development of the Chattermill platform.
As a Backend Ruby Engineer, you will:
- Work in an agile environment to develop new functionality in our main Ruby backend written with RoR 6 while improving the performance of our existing APIs
- Brainstorm features with our product manager and designer and guide decisions based on your knowledge of the codebase
- Assist our skilled Customer Experience team in triaging bugs and solving issues in production
- Spread the knowledge of new web technologies and best practices within the team
- Take part in peer code review
- Be involved in all steps of the project including design, architecture, implementation, automated tests development and monitoring the health of the systems in production
- Work in a multi-functional team to exceed our customers’ expectations
What we’re looking for:
- 5+ years of experience with Ruby
- Experience with Elasticsearch as an indexing solution (not within ELK stack)
- Good CS fundamentals and practical knowledge of SOLID principles and design patterns
- Proficiency with PostgreSQL, a good understanding of the differences between SQL and NoSQL databases, and the ability to choose the right data storage for any particular use case
- Ability to choose the right caching strategy for different use cases, practical experience with Redis
- Understanding of 12-factor app principles and requirements for cloud native applications
- Practical experience with Kubernetes and ability to write specs for k8s objects for your apps
- Experience in finding and fixing bottlenecks in complex distributed systems, experience conducting load and disaster recovery testing
Nice to have:
- Understanding of patterns for asynchronous messaging, practical experience with Kafka
- Experience designing and building applications in microservice architecture
- Practical experience with Golang
- Experience with Prometheus, setting up alerts with Alertmanager
- Experience with minikube
- Experience with Helm or/and Kustomize
- Experience with managed Kubernetes in the cloud (preferably GKE)
- Good understanding of web security aspects
Why join us?
The current coronavirus outbreak has meant we have been working remotely for the last 6 months. While we aim to have our office open again soon, we will be ensuring the safety and comfort of our employees foremost throughout the coming months and adhering to all social distancing measures.
- A competitive salary as well as the ability to share in the company’s success through options
- Great progression opportunities - we want you to grow with us!
- 25 days holiday (in addition to bank holidays) + 1 day for your birthday + 1 day for every year of service
- A big focus on personal development including a €550 development budget and monthly Breakfast and Learns
- Flexible working conditions and the opportunity to work from home
- Central office location with free yoga and events
- Quarterly Company Socials planned by our great colleagues!