Senior Python Backend Engineer
Engineering - London, England, United KingdomApply now
A Roadmap to Your Success…
We believe that The Right Team is Key if we want to achieve our growth plans by the end of 2022. That’s why we need you to support our VP of Engineering, to achieve our ambitious goals and for you to make your mark from day one.
We have big plans and are now looking for a Senior Python Backend Engineer to join our team to be the bridge between our Backend and Data Science teams at Chattermill.
As part of your position, you’ll enjoy……
- The ability to share in the company’s success through options
- Flexible working conditions and the opportunity to work from home
- £500 (yearly) personal development budget, a progression framework, unlimited access to a fully stocked library and bi-weekly Breakfast and Learns
- A flexible Health & Wellness benefits budget that can be spent on health insurance, physical, and mental health or other needs starting at £50pcm, growing £25pcm for each year of service
- 25 days holiday (in addition to bank holidays) + 1 day for your birthday + 1 day for every year of service up to 5 years
- Contribution to your pension
- Perks include discounts on cinema tickets, utilities and more
- Lovely office with great classes, events, and a rooftop terrace
- Regular company socials planned by our great colleagues
What you’ll be doing…
- Collaborate closely with multiple teams including our Ruby Backend team, Data Science team and our Infrastructure team to turn new research prototypes into production-ready services integrated with our data pipeline.
- Improve our ML services framework to deliver new services with ease while improving scalability and resilience of our data pipeline
- Improve observability of our data pipeline to improve its performance, optimize cost of computations and make better design decisions
- Share knowledge across different technical teams on backend development best practices
- Work in a fast-paced environment to develop new functionality in our app while delivering optimizations and improvements to existing functionality
- Be involved in all steps of projects including brainstorming of raw ideas, design, architecture, implementation, automated tests development and monitoring the health of the systems in production
- Work in a multi-functional team to exceed our customer's expectations
What you’ll need…
- 3+ years of experience with Python
- Good CS fundamentals and practical knowledge of SOLID principles, design patterns and anti-patterns, ability to use UML to explain design concepts
- Proficiency with at least one relational database (ideally PostgreSQL)
- Understanding of patterns for asynchronous messaging, practical experience with Kafka, experience with Protobuf
- Experience developing libraries and frameworks to promote code reusability across multiple teams.
- Understanding of 12 factor app principles and requirements for cloud native applications
- Practical experience with Kubernetes and ideally experience with Helm
- Experience in finding and fixing bottlenecks in complex distributed systems, experience conducting load and disaster recovery testing
- Experience designing and building applications in microservice architecture
It'll be nice if you have...
- Interest in ML/AI, willingness to learn how ML frameworks work under the hood
- Optimization of algorithms for massive data processing, parallel computing on GPUs
- Experience with Apache Airflow
We are obsessed with experience…
This is what the interview process will look like:
Pre Interview: Speak with a member of our Talent team
During this call we'll discuss your experience, motivations and Chattermill's product and culture.
First stage: Get to know the role
This will be a 60 minute technical interview with the Hiring Manager, you'll of course get to ask questions.
Second stage: Technical task & review
You'll be sent a take home task to complete, upon completion we'll book a follow up 60 minute call to discuss the task in further detail.
Third stage: Product and Cultural interview
You'll get to meet our VP of Data and Research and our Lead Product Owner
Final stage: Let’s seal the deal
You'll spend 45 minutes speaking with our CEO, Mikhail Dubov.
If you are successful at the final stage you will receive an offer, and pending successful references, become a Chattermillian!
Want to learn more about who we are and what we do? Check out our website here!
Diversity & Inclusion
We want to enable exceptional experiences for everyone, and to achieve this we need everyone’s voice in our team. We are on a mission to bring more diversity into the business in 2022 and to give everyone (from all backgrounds and abilities) a chance to join us, even if they may not fit all of the requirements set out in this job spec.
We believe we need ALL hands-on deck to achieve our goals and that’s why we hope you’ll apply today.
We believe in removing unconscious biases from our recruitment process wherever possible. As part of this effort, we ask that you do not include your photograph or personal details with your application.